Odysseuse on the Move

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Shall We Pas de Deux?

ballet a theatrical artform using dancing, music, and scenery to convey a story, theme or atmosphere; also, dancing in which conventional poses and steps are combined with light flowing figures (as leaps and turns)

pas de deux a dance or figure for two performers; also, an intricate relationship involving two parties or things

The Nutcracker Ballet, seen by millions during the Christmas season, onstage or in TV reruns, is one of the best examples of the two definitions. Whether it is performed by a professional dance troupe or by hometown dancers, it is delightful. It tells the story of a young girl who has attended a gala family Christmas party, and afterwards falls asleep clutching her favorite gift, a wooden Nutcracker doll. In her dream, the Nutcracker comes to life as a handsome Prince and leads her to see a spectacular series of performances. When she awakens, the Nutcracker is once again her beloved wooden toy.

Professional ballet dancers, male and female, are well-trained athletes. The men appear to have superhuman strength as they perform their leaps, turns, and seem to hover in mid-air. They also lift and join the small, fragile ballerinas in dance - but it must be remembered that the "small, fragile" dancers are also athletes, feminine and graceful though they are. Every muscle in a dancer's body is strong as steel and flexible as rubber. Ballet is a strenuous discipline; its dancers may only perform at their best for a limited number of years.

The Chicago Bear's football coach, some years ago, sent some of his players to have
ballet lessons in order to better perform their maneuvers on the playing field, which leads to this vignette:

A ballet studio. There are twenty or thirty teenage girls, clad in black leotards and tights, wearing soft ballet slippers. They are practicing ballet positions. Among them is a huge Bear's football player practicing along with them.A waltz tune is being played by a pianist. Suddenly the huge man leaves the line, takes the hand of one of the girls and, side by side, hand in hand they dance a weaving pas de deux across the studio, ending at the feet of the annoyed ballet instructor who is standing arms akimbo and frowning. The music stops. The lesson continues.

That young girl was Odysseuse, who has never forgotten that glorious light-as-air minute.

Have you attended a ballet perfomance? Or a dance recital of any kind? Have you taken dance lessons? Do you sometimes wish you had?

William Butler Yeats wrote
O body swayed to music, O brightening glance, How can we know the dancer from the dance?

11 Comments:

  • I'm awed.

    I'm humbled.

    I'm a dancing bear!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/28/2005 6:02 PM  

  • Me deux! Deux left feet :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/28/2005 6:41 PM  

  • To Kimberly: The ballet teacher was an old lady and cranky, besides, and she frowned on anything out of order in the studio, and we really were disrupting the order of things. But only for a minute. I'm so glad you liked your ballet classes!

    By Blogger marguerite louise, at 5/28/2005 7:49 PM  

  • I remember that once in NY City, I saw the Bolshoi ballet perform Swan Lake -- it was quite magnificent.

    A few years ago I took my little neighbors to The Nutcracker...a few minutes into the performance, Jennifer turned to me and asked, "When are they going to start the REAL program; you know, the one where they TALK?" When I explained that they were just going to dance, she was quite skeptical...but she ended up enjoying herself, especially when the scarey mice appeared to fight with the Nutcracker.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/28/2005 9:30 PM  

  • My daughter danced in Nutcracker for many years, as Clara, Snow Queen, as Waltz lead, etc etc. I spent many hours watching her progress in class, and perform. Those times were a blessing, and soothing for me. The discipline of dance is something I admire geatly. Myself, I am not gifted! I only wish I had been knitting all those hours of class .... oh well!

    I admire your blog, it is very nice!

    By Blogger Joanna, at 5/28/2005 10:45 PM  

  • I "danced" in Jr. High and High School because that's what one did with the boys back in the 50s and 60s. (We also went to the soda fountain and to the movies.)

    Doing Rock 'n Roll and eventually the Twist were tests of physical stamina for sure. My dancing memories don't relate to the graceful, light flowing dance steps mentioned here.

    Ah, but I'm lost in my own memories and not answering your questions.

    I have never been to a ballet, not even the Nutcracker. I have never taken dance lessons and, being a flat footed, rather uncoordinated nerd type person, I never wished I had.

    But I do have pleasant memories of doing the Twist.

    By Blogger Marguerite, at 5/29/2005 12:29 PM  

  • Marguerite, we must be sisters! I have the flat-footed, undercoordinated nerd syndrome, too. My "dance memories" are like yours---all of the popular steps from the 60s.

    How can you be the daughter of a ballerina and never have been taken to the ballet??? Inquiring minds want to know :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/29/2005 5:10 PM  

  • We lived in a very small town with NO ballet, and I never expressed an interest in seeking one out.

    Actually, I've always had very different interests than my Mother but we love each other anyway.

    By Blogger Marguerite, at 5/29/2005 6:47 PM  

  • I've trained and competed as a ballroom dancer, which is a far cry from ballet (which I also did, albeit very poorly). I wonder about the different dynamic of dancing with a partner as opposed to individually or as part of a company - all can be immensely satisfying in very different ways. But I find that after becoming accustomed to the always changing element of lead-and-follow, the experience of solo dance is (for me) less attractive - there's something exciting about not knowing what will be led next, whether it's a waltz or a salsa. Maybe it's because I spend all day with words that communicating with movement can be so refreshing (even if my feet do get stepped on occasionally, it's worth it).

    By Blogger Katie, at 5/30/2005 4:36 PM  

  • I miss attending ballets, as I only see them every several years living where I do; my nieces were with us this weekend and they take several dance classes a week each. It was great fun to listen to their tales.

    By Blogger Birdsong, at 5/31/2005 12:55 AM  

  • My husband and I have taken one session of ballroom dancing prior to getting married. We spent more time talking to the instructor about his background in fencing...we were fencers and noticed some of his moves reminded us of fencing moves.....
    I have some of the same fond memories of dancing as a teen...doing the twist etc. etc.
    I love the ballet and other live theater venues.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/31/2005 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home