Odysseuse on the Move

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Hop-scotch, Little Brother To Dance

hop-scotch a child's game in which a player tosses an object (such as a stone) into areas of a figure outlined on the ground and hops through the figure and back to regain the object

Oh the lovely Spring days when the clumsy footgear of winter is replaced by lightweight sneakers or sandals, freeing the feet and the spirit to be light as air. So games are played. The pattern of hop-scotch is a game and at the same time is an introduction to Dance. One foot hop hop hop, two feet twin hop, one foot hop hop hop, two feet twin hop - and reverse. Was the stone picked up? The grid may vary, sometimes outlined on a sidewalk, a chalk outline on gravel or asphalt, according to region and custom. What is permanent is the choreography, a prerequisite to Dance.

When a child, did you play a game like hop-scotch which involves a certain footwork? Were simple tapdances taught to you in school? Were they easy to learn? And fun? Did dancing become a pleasure for you then and on into adulthood?

Alexander Pope wrote
...those move easiest who have learned to dance.

11 Comments:

  • I don't remember dancing much as a child or as an adult (other than the disco of my teen years!). I remember playing hopscotch, and I always hopscotch through the grids that appear in chalk on my neighborhood streets.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/10/2005 10:39 PM  

  • The younger Marguerite sent me your way, and yes to all of your questions! I love to dance, and have often wished that the man I married loved it too, but his good qualities allow me to put that bias aside. I really enjoyed reading your writing and will be back! I have a MA in Humanities, and teach high school.

    By Blogger Birdsong, at 5/11/2005 1:25 PM  

  • I read that hopscotch began as a military exercise for Roman soldiers who ran, in full armor, a 100 foot course. Now that I think about it, that's about what I resemble while dancing----a Roman soldier hopping around in full armor!! I'm not too bad at Tai Chi for Seniors, tho. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/12/2005 11:56 PM  

  • Oh, wonderful! I love this mental picture you've provided of the Roman Legions doing the hop-scotch, especially the hop-scotch that I remember. It's given me a welcome laugh this Friday Thirteenth morning. I hope to find better ways of communicating with you and other bloggers as my interrupted lessons resume next Tuesday. Thank you, sharon.

    By Blogger marguerite louise, at 5/13/2005 9:12 AM  

  • I'm delighted I made you smile. (Place delighted smiley-face here. Color it tickled pink.)

    You're seeking "better ways of communicating" in your blog?? My heavens! Your musings are so vivid and thought-provoking, they need no further perfecting.

    Aaah...Friday the 13th! What a splendidly fortuitous day!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/13/2005 1:40 PM  

  • It's so good to share ideas and amusements - and everything good has happened so far on Friday the 13th!
    Thanks to all who have commented.

    By Blogger marguerite louise, at 5/13/2005 4:33 PM  

  • Please stay for our esteemed characters, Dick, Jane, Sally, and Spot!

    By Blogger marguerite louise, at 5/13/2005 4:35 PM  

  • OK. I just googled "Freddie and Flossie and Bert and Nan" -- they were the Bobbsey Twins! Not the Hollisters! Good grief! Odysseuse, did we have the Bobbsey Twins as well as the Hollisters at our house?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/14/2005 10:50 PM  

  • To Kimberly, Chord of three strands - I enjoy all of your comments! What a clever, effective, and fun way to teach by using Hop-Scotch!

    By Blogger marguerite louise, at 5/15/2005 12:07 AM  

  • Better ways of communicating - intriguing idea. I wonder what you have in mind...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/16/2005 7:43 AM  

  • Hello again, Sara. I answered your question in the comments section of my latest post...thanks for asking it.

    By Blogger marguerite louise, at 5/16/2005 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home