Odysseuse on the Move

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Odysseuse

The adventures of Odysseuse began near a field of full-blossoming marguerites in Zurich, Switzerland. They continued through space and time in various places and now occur in America's midwest. The journey has not yet ended.

Whether it is realized or not, the Arts have an impact on us, visually, aurally, and emotionally, beginning at an early age. But the Arts also have a partner: the Sciences, often represented by technology. The great advances in the way we listen to music - from 78s to CDs and onward - have come from technical inventions. And that thought leads to the great concert halls, represented by architecture. Accoustics in those concert halls are not accidental - those good sounds heard in them arise from scientific knowledge of how best sound is transmitted.

So here we have two of the Arts: Music and Architecture, neither of which is a simple subject, for there are many offshoots of the two. Music is that to which you prefer to listen. Architecture is Buildings, bridges, and monuments.

You may think you aren't interested in Arts or Sciences. It may be more to the point to say you are unaware of their influence. Here's something to think about: when you were very young, was there a building you still remember, or a bridge, or monument, and what is the first music or song you remember liking?

Odysseuse (the feminine of Odysseus) leaves you with this thought:

Arts, bow in gratitude to the Sciences!

5 Comments:

  • Congratulations on completing your homework assignment so beautifully.

    I can hardly wait to give you more. LOL

    By Blogger Marguerite, at 4/24/2005 10:04 PM  

  • I remember the Vicksburg Elementary School. Probably not great architecture, but that large tube fire escape would impress any kid so I remember the whole building.

    First music? Tubby the Tuba. I think it influenced my decision to play bass clarinet.

    By Blogger Marguerite, at 4/24/2005 10:10 PM  

  • I remember the music from Tom Terrific, Captain Kangaroo and Mighty Mouse! Oops, I think I just showed my age...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/24/2005 10:54 PM  

  • ...and I remember my PINK house. I've always wanted to have a pink house again....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/25/2005 8:40 PM  

  • I remember being very young and having a 45 of "Rubber Ducky."

    For architecture, I remember always liking the buildings in downtown Marshall.

    And I wanted to be an architect when I was young. But what little boy my age didn't want to be? Michael Brady (the dad from The Brady Bunch) make it seem so cool!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/07/2005 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home