Odysseuse on the Move

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

What Are You Thinking?

philosophy the most general beliefs, concepts, and attitudes of an individual or group

It is said that of the billions upon billions of snowflakes, no two were, are, or will be, alike. They do have two qualities in common: each is hexagonal, or six-sided, and is intricately beautiful. Of the billions upon billions of humans, no two were, are, or will be identical - even such twins have different fingerprints - but we share many more than two similarities. One of the most important is that we can think.

We can think about anything from what to have for lunch to trying to justify teaching calculus while wearing sneakers. Anything that comes to mind qualifies as thinking. Beliefs, concepts, attitudes - our thinking ranges far and wide among those topics and many more, and there are as many viewpoints as there were, are, and will be, human beings.

Philosophy is a difficult subject to write about as well as to study. Why? Because it presents ideas from centuries past up to the present, and its subject matter has no limits. The above definition was the simplest one found in a dictionary. "Love of Wisdom" would also define it. But a problem arises: what is wisdom? The answers rival the snowflakes for quantity. Philosophers, men and women, through the ages, have thought about and written about that question. There are no answers except the ones the individual thinkers believe.

When do you do your best thinking? Do you enjoy a good debate? Are you comfortable sharing thoughts and ideas? Do you have an acquaintance or friend whose opinions differ from yours, but whom you respect?

Rene Descartes said (in translation from the French)
I think;therefore I am.

15 Comments:

  • My best thinking usually happens as I walk -- I bounce ideas off Griffin, my dog...I'm sure people observing my talks with Griffin think I'm wacky...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/25/2005 9:31 PM  

  • How else would you teach calculus if not in sneakers? With jeans, of course.

    I think I do my best thinking while I'm sleeping as some of my best thoughts just seem to be "there" when I wake up in the morning.

    By Blogger Marguerite, at 5/26/2005 1:47 PM  

  • Carrie, sounds like you could use a Dog is my CoPilot bumper sticker.

    By Blogger Marguerite, at 5/26/2005 1:53 PM  

  • I was flipping through blogs and found yours, and just had to post a comment; I've been prodding my gray matter a lot recently to find out what makes it tick (besides really strong coffee, that is).

    Usually I find that my really good creative thinking happens when I throw up my hands and say, "fine, this won't get written, I don't care," and stomp away from the computer or the library or wherever to the nearest source of caffeine. Then, as I'm doing something completely different, it will all flash clear and I'll nearly break an ankle trying to write it down before I forget. But after Brilliant Idea stage (and it rarely is, as I soon find out), I have to be able to articulate it to someone else without saying "you know?" or "sort of like..." and they have to be able to explain it back to me again, so I can say, "you know, I'm not sure that really makes much sense" before they do.

    By Blogger Katie, at 5/26/2005 2:55 PM  

  • Kimberly, thank you for those kind words. I love to write and will keep it up as long as I am able.

    By Blogger marguerite louise, at 5/26/2005 11:01 PM  

  • There once was a blogger and muse
    Who called herself "Odysseuse".
    With keyboard in hand, she took a firm stand
    On Calculus teachers and shoes.

    Her subject was Phil Ossofee,
    (Department Head, Math, MIT)
    But Phil's sneaker faux pas stuck in her craw
    So she blogged him to USC.

    Moral: Think before you select your ensemble.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/27/2005 12:41 AM  

  • "And let that be a lesson for all of us," she said sanctimoniously.

    By Blogger marguerite louise, at 5/27/2005 2:46 AM  

  • What better way to learn, or brainstorm, or encourage creativity than to gather intelligent, interested human beings?

    Just add laughter... and refreshments!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/27/2005 8:59 AM  

  • Refreshments? Did I miss the refreshments?

    By Blogger Marguerite, at 5/27/2005 12:25 PM  

  • You were supposed to BRING the refeshments, ML. Apple pie...remember?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/27/2005 12:41 PM  

  • Oops, sorry for yelling at the wrong Marguerite. Gosh, there are so many of them around here!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/27/2005 12:44 PM  

  • Marguerites do seem to abound, just as they do this time of year in the fields of Europe.

    By Blogger marguerite louise, at 5/27/2005 1:09 PM  

  • Ah yes! The Annual Euro Marguerite Convention! I read about it in the paper, but I can't attend the festivities this year---I have to stay here and comment on this blog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/27/2005 6:33 PM  

  • Odysseuse, you have such an enthusiastic readership!! How often do you expect to be able to post a new essay?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/27/2005 6:49 PM  

  • It's hard to say how often I will write an essay. There is no shortage of subject matter within the Arts and Sciences. Two or three posts a week seems possible.

    The interaction among my readers is most gratifying. Thank you.

    By Blogger marguerite louise, at 5/27/2005 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home