Odysseuse on the Move

Saturday, June 25, 2005

The Plot Thickens

novel an invented prose narrative that is usu. long and complex and deals esp. with human experience through a usu. connected sequence of events

Occasionally it becomes necessary to listen to someone expounding the confusing complications of life who mistakenly believes the events are unique and interesting. The long-winded remarks often end with "I could write a book!".

It isn't that easy. It takes more than a wish in order to write a novel that will appeal to readers. There must be many characters interacting within multiple interwoven plots. Keeping track of those characters and where each of them fits into the story line is a major task. A problem or conflict interesting enough to engage the reader must arise and then be solved satisfactorily by a character or characters who have gained the readers' rapt attention.

This cannot be accomplished by the person quoted above. It's the boredom factor that prohibits successful narration and that can kill a novel. A better suggestion is to write a short story. Have one or two likeable characters involved with some conflict which is solved intelligently. Tell it succinctly and to the point. Leave the novel until a short story has been written and received successfully.

Have you begun to write a story that you did not finish? Will you consider writing short stories for your family? Have you entertained others with your imaginative narratives? Will you consider doing so? Do you have old manuscripts lying dormant in a file?

Shakespeare wrote
This is the short and the long of it.

8 Comments:

  • This post reminds me that the great novel, "One Hundred Years of Solitude" was criticized when it was chosen as an "Oprah's Book Club" book because many of the readers found it too confusing.

    There are some novels I read and I wonder how on earth the author kept everything organized in her mind. The two novels I've read in recent years that I've loved the most are "The Blind Assasin" by Margaret Atwood and "An Equal Music" by Vikram Seth.

    I'll bet this post launches another set of thoughtful comments!

    Good work, Odysseuse!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/25/2005 11:55 AM  

  • "One Hundred Years of Solitude" is probably my favorite novel. IMHO,
    Gabriel Garcia-Marquez ranks as a genius in novel and short story fiction.

    "Solitude" is not a casual read, but it's almost linear when compared with some of Toni Morrison's later (post Pulitzer) tangled messes. There are some novelists who have forgotten that the point of writing is to reach and entertain the audience, not torture and confuse it.

    Recommended reading for wannabe writers is "A Reader's Manifesto: An Attack on the Growing Pretentiousness in American Literary Prose". It's the perfect "don't let this happen to you" book written by linguist B.R. Myers.

    Nice post, ML.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/25/2005 12:41 PM  

  • Yep, "100 Years..." really is fairly linear. I was trying to make a neutral statement so I wouldn't offend any possible Oprah Book Club members. I did consult the family tree at the front of my edition a few times when I read it, but I was shocked and dismayed that the Oprah readers apparently were so confused. Wonder how they do with Faulkner?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/25/2005 1:30 PM  

  • RE Faulkner: (ROTF) Well, I sure wouldn't recommend "The Sound and the Fury" as a first read for the uninitiate!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/25/2005 3:07 PM  

  • This post inspired me to upgrade my summer reading.

    I stopped at the library this morning and picked up "The Blind Assasin" by Margaret Atwood and "An Equal Music" by Vikram Seth. Had to go on the wait list for "One Hundred Years of Solitude."

    Now, as soon as I finish the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency book I'm reading, I'll try to be a bit more intellectual.

    By Blogger Marguerite, at 6/29/2005 1:40 PM  

  • I few more quick thoughts on my summer reading:

    1) I deserve extra points for reading a Mac manual so I can figure out how to work with Mother's Mac to do the things she wants to do. Lots of extra points.

    2) Carrie has flung the gauntlet on "One Hundred Years of Solitude." I HAVE to be able to understand this book and think it's linear, or I'm linked in with numerous Oprah readers who found it too confusing to read. The suspense is killing me. Can I handle the challenge?

    By Blogger Marguerite, at 6/29/2005 2:27 PM  

  • How exciting, Marguerite! When I read An Equal Music, I thought about the characters for weeks and kept wanting to get in touch with them to find out how their lives were going.

    The Mac manual is impressive!! I'm sure I couldn't have gotten past page one!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/29/2005 3:02 PM  

  • I'm so excited that Marguerite is going to read the Atwood and the Seth that I think I'll read them both again myself!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/29/2005 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home