Odysseuse on the Move

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

137, Where Are You?

Source: The God Particle by Leon Lederman with Dick Teresi

In his book, which is subtitled "If the Universe is the answer, what is the question?" Leon Lederman wrote
Physicists have agonized over 137 for the past fifty years. Werner Heisenberg once proclaimed that all the quandries of quantum mechanics would shrivel up when 137 was finally explained. I tell my undergraduate students that if they are ever in trouble in a major city anywhere in the world they should write "137" on a sign and hold it up on a busy street corner. Eventually a physicist will see that they're distressed and come to their assistance. (No one to my knowledge has ever tried this, but it should work.)


I, in the spirit of Odysseuse, decided to accept Dr. Lederman's implied challenge. It was either curiosity or benign mischief that led to the following attempt. This city is not known for its clusters of physicists on street corners, so I decided to begin at our Unitarian Church whose membership includes many professionals, some of whom are scientists.

All of us have permanent nametags mounted on a bulletin board to be worn during the service and replaced afterwards. I took mine home and added a few things: a computer generated red rose, my name in an Old English script, plus a gold Hallmark circle on which I printed in large black letters 137.

I also changed my behavior. Instead of going in and sitting quietly waiting for the service to begin, I made the rounds of all the little groups chatting in the foyer before the service. I volunteered to be an usher, a greeter, handed out hymnbooks, joined the Coffee Hour folks after the service. My name tag and I were the Katie Couric of the Unitarians. But no one came to my rescue or commented on my nametag. This went on for several weeks.

Finally I asked the secretary to give me the name or names of physicists in our congregation. The best she could do was to come up with the name of a Professor of Physics at one of our colleges. I found an excuse to have a talk with him. My nametag fairly screamed at him. He took no notice.

What next? I wrote a letter to Leon Lederman in care of his publisher, relating the circumstances and outcome of my experiment just as I have written them to you. I never heard from him.

The book is touted as the funniest book about physics ever written, and I will attest to that. It's written in plain English, no complicated formulae. It is a comprehensive history of physics from Democritus through Einstein and beyond. Nothing in it is obsolete even though the publishing date is 1994. The God Particle of the title is the Higgs boson, which is known to exist but has not yet been discovered. The top quark had not yet been found in 1994 but was discovered shortly afterward.
Read it, enjoy it, and you will be able to say, "Oh yes, I know all about 137 - that it's really 1/137!"

5 Comments:

  • I've enjoyed this story no end and applaud your fun-loving approach in conducting the sociologic survey. Knowing your fascination with quantum electrodynamics, I'm not a bit surprised that you'd long for a rousing discussion with an expert in the field. The non-responses of your fellow churchman, the physics professor, and of Dr. Lederman are disappointing. To give the latter the benefit of the doubt, why not write again and mark the outside of the envelope with a bold 137 ?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/13/2006 11:59 AM  

  • Right on, Sharon! A great idea!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/13/2006 12:47 PM  

  • The Department of "Wish I'd Thought of That" thanks Sharon and Carrie! I am going to give 137 one last try - I will make a copy of this essay and send it to Dr. Lederman in care of the publisher. The 137 will be written with a bright red marker!

    By Blogger marguerite louise, at 4/13/2006 12:57 PM  

  • Dr. Lederman's e-mail address is in your mailbox. Drop him an E with your story and keep us posted on his response. I bet your spunky experimental method will make his day!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/13/2006 7:20 PM  

  • Hello --- believe it or not, I'm a co-director for a documentary film company called... wait for it... 137 Films! (you can find us at www.137films.org). I've interviewed Dr. Lederman twice (he's as funny in person as in the book) and he told us the story you quote here. In fact, we've made this tale into our logo (wish I could post it here). In short, it's a graphic of a guy holding a sign with the number 137 on it. You should check out our website, because I've been writing a blog about our film for the last 2 years, which is following the story of physicists at Fermilab searching for the Higgs Boson. I even interviewed Peter Higgs himself in Edinburgh. Fun stuff. As far as your experiment, I'd suggest that you need a sign exclusively with the numbers, with nothing else like the rose or your name or anything. PS, Dr. Lederman's address is (what else?) 137 Eola road.

    Best,
    Clayton Brown
    Director/Producer
    137 Films
    www.137films.org
    http://theatomsmashers.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Clayton, at 8/10/2006 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home