Odysseuse on the Move

Monday, December 25, 2006

A Christmas Soliloquy

soliloquy the act of speaking aloud to oneself

It is blessedly quiet and peaceful in my home today. It celebrates the day an eagerly anticipated child was born under unusual circumstances. I am alone with my thoughts, but not lonesome.

I have spent Christmas Day alone for a number of years. Our family gathering and gift exchange takes place on Christmas Eve. It is a joyous occasion, as it should be. The family personnel changes from time to time through misfortunes, but most of the time there are happy events such as marriages, commitments, and births. Christmas Eve is my special time with as many of my loved ones who can be with me then.

During the hectic planning and arranging - not to mention the stress! - leading up seemingly endlessly to Christmas itself, there is little time or inclination to consider the reason for the coming holiday. On the surface it appears to be for businesses of all sorts to make more money than was made the year before. Or so it seems.

And so I love my Christmas Day for its calm time of joys remembered from times past and time present. A child is born! How lovely a gift!

3 Comments:

  • A very lovely Christmas post. We divide the time, with the festivities coming first, followed by a quiet Christmas afternoon and evening these past several years since children were older and off to visit other family. We took a lovely hike this afternoon. A Merry Christmas to you, and a happier New Year.

    By Blogger Birdsong, at 12/25/2006 11:29 PM  

  • My elderly, beloved animal family was all around me on Christmas -- there is nothing more meaningful to me than their care. It was a quiet day, but one I wouldn't change for anything in the world.

    Happy New Year to us all!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/26/2006 9:30 AM  

  • We left a large extended family behind when we moved from Ontario, Canada to the PNW. Those family holiday times initially felt lonely...without the extreme hustle and bustle of 30+ people and their personalities all present.
    This year we made a concerted effort to enjoy the day, enjoy each other. It was a peaceful, beautiful day surrounded by our various pets. I am blessed to have the husband and daughters that I do.
    Merry Christmas and a very Happy and Healthy New Year to you!!
    Best wishes for a

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/26/2006 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home